A história

Casa de Dioniso, Delos

Casa de Dioniso, Delos



We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.


EDIFÍCIOS QUE EU AMO NA FLÓRIDA: Nº 127: Delos A. Blodgett House, 1896, Daytona Beach

O norte da Flórida era onde estava o dinheiro no final do século XIX.

O sul da Flórida era considerado selvagem e inóspito demais para valer muito. Mas os ricos do norte, que buscam um clima ameno, ficam felizes em passar seus invernos ao norte do que hoje conhecemos como corredor I-4.

Muito antes de ser conhecido pelas corridas de automóveis, Daytona Beach era um desses lugares, e Delos Blodgett era essa pessoa. Residente em Grand Rapids, Michigan, ele fez fortuna com madeira. Mas durante as férias na Flórida, ele conheceu e mais tarde se casou com Daisy Peck, e eles se mudaram para Daytona Beach, que havia sido estabelecida em 1870.

A riqueza de Blodgett permitiu-lhe contratar um dos arquitectos mais proeminentes da região, Sumner H. Gove (1853-1926), e construir uma grande casa ao estilo da Rainha Anne em 1896. Àquela altura, Gove tinha estabelecido a sua reputação neste projetos como a imponente Burgoyne House (agora demolida), que parecia uma mansão enfadonha de Newport que tinha ido para o sul durante o inverno. Seu design influenciou Gove na mansão Blodgett, que é considerada a casa notável de seu estilo no condado de Volusia.

Os hóspedes da casa de Blodgett incluíam a sufragista Susan B. Anthony, de acordo com a nomeação da propriedade & # x2019s para o Registro Nacional de Locais Históricos.

Delos Blodgett viveu 12 anos na casa antes de sua morte em 1908. O editor Walter Edmunds alugou a casa de Daisy Blodgett como uma casa de inverno. Ela o vendeu para o refugiado político venezuelano Julian Arroyo em 1920, ele o mudou para o outro lado da rua e construiu o Daytona Terrace Hotel & # x2014, agora uma casa de repouso conhecida como Olds Hall & # x2014 no antigo local da casa & # x2019s.

Leitores antigos desta série sabem o que aconteceu com a maioria dos investidores que enriqueceram durante a expansão imobiliária dos anos 1920 na Flórida & # x2019: Eles perderam tudo no colapso. Arroyo sofreu o mesmo destino em 1927, perdendo a casa por execução hipotecária. Por décadas depois, foi uma pensão com uma sucessão de proprietários, de acordo com os pesquisadores do National Register, Paul Weaver e Barbara Mattick.

A arquitetura no estilo Rainha Anne nos Estados Unidos era popular muito depois do reinado de 12 anos do monarca britânico no início do século XVIII. E era muito diferente do original na Inglaterra, o estilo era muito mais formal e palladiano. A varanda envolvente era uma característica padrão das casas Queen Anne Revival nos EUA. As janelas eram em uma variedade de estilos e os telhados eram pontuados por várias empenas. Torretas eram comuns. Essas eram estruturas ornamentadas com detalhes pintados e uma variedade de materiais de revestimento, mas tinham menos pão de mel do que seus contemporâneos vitorianos.

Mas, embora seus lados leste e norte tenham várias janelas, a casa de Blodgett & # x2019s parede voltada para oeste (longe do U.S. 1) está em branco.

Gove, o arquiteto, mudou-se para Daytona em 1882 ou 1891 (as fontes são diferentes) por motivos de saúde e morreu em 1926 após uma carreira na qual projetou muitos edifícios importantes no condado de Volusia.


O que a maioria dos livros diz?

Bem, em primeiro lugar, Delos é um dos sítios arqueológicos mais importantes da Grécia. Claro, você nunca encontrará um livro que se refere a um site como o mais importante, há muitos para escolher. Mas se houvesse uma lista, Delos estaria bem no topo dela, junto com Acrópole e Cnossos. Enfim, também dizem que Leto, grávida de Zeus, deu à luz Apolo ali. Alguns a descrevem como pequena e desabitada, sem água e colinas baixas, e alguns dizem que ela está cheia de casas em ruínas, templos, estátuas e mosaicos (duh).

Então, o que eu digo? Nós vamos. nada. Não há palavra que faça justiça a um lugar como Delos, e não estou dizendo isso porque estou entediado demais para sentar e tentar encontrar uma maneira de pintar um quadro. Não estou dizendo isso porque acho que vai impressioná-lo e fazer você querer visitá-lo ainda mais. Estou dizendo isso porque acredito.

Além disso, você não pode visitar Delos sozinho - é um pacote, junto com Mykonos. Você não pode nem pernoitar (acho que a palavra 'desabitada' que usei antes esclarecia isso) e os horários dos barcos só permitem um máximo de 6-7 horas lá. Eu te disse, Delos é diferente. Seções como "lugares para ver", "praias", "comida" e "vida noturna" só ficariam em branco se eu seguisse o plano que fiz. O que eu diria sobre comida? "Visite o único refeitório de Delos"? Isso seria uma risada. Além disso, nem se preocupe em trazer sua própria água e comida, se não quiser ser roubado e comer algo de pouco valor.

De qualquer forma, esse não é o ponto. A questão é que tudo que posso fazer agora é dar uma breve descrição do que é o Delos. Então, aqui vai.

Em primeiro lugar, há a Ágora dos Competalistas. Compita eram cidadãos romanos ou escravos livres e adoravam os Lares Competales, ou então "Deuses da Encruzilhada".

À sua esquerda, você encontrará o Caminho Processional que o levará ao Santuário de Apolo, anunciado pelos Propileus. O Propylaea é um portal construído em branco com templos e estátuas. A primeira coisa que você nota ao entrar no Santuário é a Casa dos Naxiots, na porta ao lado, que na verdade é um templo encomendado pelos habitantes de Naxos na 2ª metade do século 7 aC.

Em seguida, você encontrará três templos em uma fileira. O primeiro e maior é o Grande Templo de Apolo, iniciado pelos Delianos em 476 aC. O segundo é um templo ateniense de mármore pentélico, enquanto o terceiro e menor é o Templo dos Delos, feito pelo tirano ateniense do século VI Pysistratos para abrigar a sagrada Asteria.

Além do Santuário fica o Distrito do Leão, o centro urbano que foi construído na Era Helenística. Você entra pela Ágora italiana, através da qual se chega ao Templo de Leto e ao Dodecatheon (= doze deuses), dedicado aos 12 deuses do Olimpo, no século III aC. Em seguida, vem o famoso Terraço dos Leões. Os Leões foram feitos de mármore Naxiano no século 7 aC. Eles eram originalmente nove, mas um agora está sentado ao lado do arsenal em Veneza e três desapareceram permanentemente.

Continuando ao longo do Caminho Sagrado de Delos, um pouco mais adiante, você chega às quatro altas colunas da Instituição dos Poseidoniasts.

O museu local fica bem próximo. A maioria das partes boas está espalhada ao longo da ilha ou no Museu Arqueológico de Atenas, mas ainda tem uma coleção absorvente. Os leões do terraço que mencionei antes virão em sua defesa (aqueles no próprio terraço estão réplicas).

O próximo é o Terraço dos Deuses Estrangeiros. As ruínas do Santuário dos Deuses Sírios datam de 100 aC, com um pequeno teatro religioso em seu interior. Logo ao lado está o primeiro dos três serapiões do século 2 aC. Esses três templos são dedicados a Serápis, o primeiro e único deus bem-sucedido propositalmente inventado pelo homem. Entre o primeiro e o segundo Serapeions fica o Santuário dos Grandes Deuses Samotrácias. O terceiro Serapeion, que talvez tenha sido o santuário principal, ainda abriga meia estátua.

Mais adiante, à esquerda do Heraion, um templo dedicado a Hera de 500 aC, degraus conduzem ao topo do Monte Kythnos. Na subida encontrará a Caverna Sagrada onde Apolo dirigiu um dos seus muitos oráculos, mais tarde dedicado a Hércules, enquanto na montanha encontrará o Santuário da Boa Sorte, construído por Arsinoe Filadelfos, esposa de seu irmão, o rei de Egito.

Se você refazer seus passos até o Heraion e virar à esquerda em direção ao porto, você encontrará o Bairro dos Teatros que cercava o Teatro de Delos, do século II aC, com capacidade para 5.500 pessoas. As casas aqui datam das idades helenística e romana. Cada casa tem um nome especial e algo especial que as torna únicas. A Casa dos Golfinhos e a Casa das Máscaras, por exemplo, possuem belos mosaicos. A Casa de Cleópatra tem estátuas sem cabeça dos proprietários. Uma das casas mais grandiosas é a Casa do Tridente.

Isso é basicamente o que Delos é. Eu poderia me referir a outras coisas, como as ilhotas que cercam Delos ou locais menores como a Fonte Minóica, mas você descobrirá sobre eles de qualquer maneira quando fizer um tour por esta magnífica ilha. Tudo o que posso dizer é: traga água, traga comida, use sapatos confortáveis, organize-se ou contrate um guia e. divirta-se! Delos pode não ser o tipo de diversão espalhafatosa que muitas pessoas estão dançando, mas o tipo de toda a história que você pode digerir pode ser tão incrível, você não acha?


Malmequeres

(Jennifer Nalewicki)

Freqüentemente chamadas de & # 8220flores dos mortos & # 8221 (flor de muerto), ele acreditava que o cheiro dessas flores brilhantes de laranja ajudava a atrair almas para o altar. Em La Casa del Artesano, cachos de malmequeres recém-colhidos são misturados com incenso queimado feito da resina da copaíba e um sino, cujo perfume e som visam atrair as almas.


História de El Pueblo

O Los Angeles Plaza Historic District abrange aproximadamente 9,5 acres no centro de Los Angeles. O distrito inclui 22 recursos contribuintes e 8 não contribuintes, que datam do início do século XIX até o início do século XX. Centrado em uma praça aberta, é limitado pela Avenida Cesar Chavez (norte), North Los Angeles Street e North Alameda Streets (leste), Arcadia Street (sul) e North Spring Street (oeste). O distrito representa um grupo raro, intacto e diverso de recursos históricos / culturais que exemplificam a fundação e o crescimento inicial da cidade. Os recursos incluem edifícios e locais dos períodos espanhol, mexicano e americano da cidade - de edifícios de adobe e grandes blocos comerciais vitorianos a edifícios revivalistas espanhóis do início do século XX.

O distrito foi listado pela primeira vez no Registro Nacional de Locais Históricos em 3 de novembro de 1972. A indicação foi posteriormente emendada em 1981 para incluir cinco recursos adicionais de contribuição e fornecer informações adicionais sobre dois edifícios listados na candidatura original.

Roots of El Pueblo - The Beginning of Los Angeles

Este documentário de 20 minutos - examina a história multiétnica das pessoas que vieram para El Pueblo de la Reina de Los Angeles desde sua fundação em 1781 até os dias atuais.

Olvera Street Mexican Market Place

Em novembro de 1928, uma jovem chamada Christine Sterling foi dar um passeio na praça histórica. No meio da rua, ela viu o Ávila Adobe com um aviso de condenação das autoridades de saúde da cidade afirmando que o prédio estava programado para demolição. Sabendo que o Avila Adobe era a casa mais antiga de Los Angeles, ela começou a levantar dinheiro para consertá-la. Ela também sonhava em criar um "mercado mexicano" perto de Ávila Adobe, onde as pessoas pudessem aprender sobre a herança espanhola e mexicana de Los Angeles. Por meio de seus esforços, muitos dos edifícios históricos ao redor da praça foram salvos. Seu sonho de criar um "mercado mexicano" também se concretizou. Ela convidou artesãos e artesãos e abriu a Olvera Street no domingo de Páscoa de 1930. Até hoje, a Olvera Street é uma atração popular para turistas e locais, atraindo mais de 2 milhões de pessoas por ano.

125 Paseo de la Plaza, Los Angeles, 90012
Aberto diariamente
(213) 485-6855
http://calleolvera.com/

Avila Adobe

O Avila Adobe foi construído em 1818 por um proeminente ranchero, Francisco José Avila, natural de Sinaloa, que era alcalde, ou prefeito de Los Angeles em 1810. Após a morte de Francisco Avila em 1832, sua segunda esposa, Encarnación Avila, continuou a viver em a casa com suas duas filhas. O Censo de Los Angeles de 1844 lista Encarnación Avila, de 40 anos, viúva que vivia na casa com uma filha. Por um breve período, de 10 a 19 de janeiro de 1847, o adobe foi confiscado como quartel-general militar pelo exército invasor norte-americano comandado por Robert Stockton.

Após a morte de Encarnación Avila em 1855, a casa passou para suas duas filhas, Luisa e Francisca e seus maridos, Manuel Garfias e Theodore Rimpau. Francisca e Theodore Rimpau e seus nove filhos continuaram a viver no adobe de 1855 a 1868 até que se mudaram para Anaheim, Califórnia, onde Theodore foi o primeiro prefeito. De 1868 até o início da década de 1920, o adobe foi alugado e usado como restaurante, pensão ou frequentemente ficava vago. O estado do edifício deteriorou-se e foi finalmente condenado em 1926 pela Secretaria Municipal de Saúde, o que chamou a atenção de Christine Sterling, que iniciou uma campanha pública para salvar o adobe.

Hoje, o Ávila Adobe está aberto ao público como um museu e é decorado como deveria ser no final da década de 1840. Atrai mais de 300.000 visitantes anualmente e é um espaço maravilhosamente tranquilo no coração da cidade grande.

10 Olvera St, Los Angeles, 90012
Aberto de segunda a domingo, das 9h às 16h
(213) 680-2525
http://calleolvera.com/history/adobe/

Plaza Firehouse

O Plaza Firehouse foi o primeiro edifício a ser construído pela cidade de Los Angeles para abrigar equipamentos e pessoal de combate a incêndio. A Câmara Municipal contratou o arquiteto William Boring para projetar uma estrutura que foi construída por Dennis Hennessy. O design de Boring seguia de perto a moda então corrente em sua terra natal, Illinois, com os cavalos alojados dentro da estação, como era o costume em climas mais frios. Uma mesa giratória exclusiva no chão tornava desnecessário fazer os cavalos entrarem ou saírem. A construção começou em maio de 1884 e foi concluída em meados de agosto. O Firehouse No. 1 foi inaugurado em setembro do mesmo ano.

Em pouco tempo, a propriedade do local pela cidade estava em disputa. A Sra. L.M Bigelow e Griffin Johnston alegaram que o local pertencia a eles e, no início de 1891, a Suprema Corte decidiu em seu favor. O contrato com a Sra. Bigelow expirou em 1897 e a cidade decidiu construir todas as futuras estações apenas em terras de propriedade do município, encerrando assim a vida do Plaza Firehouse como um corpo de bombeiros. A essa altura, a área de Plaza e a rua Los Angeles haviam se tornado o coração da Chinatown original da cidade. Ao longo dos 60 anos seguintes, o Plaza Firehouse foi dividido e usado de várias maneiras como bar, pensão barata, loja de charutos, salão de sinuca e, supostamente, uma casa de má reputação. Em 1953, o Estado da Califórnia uniu-se à cidade e ao condado de Los Angeles para criar o Monumento Histórico El Pueblo de Los Angeles, do qual o Plaza Firehouse faria parte. O Estado adquiriu o prédio em 1954 e deu início ao processo de restauração da estrutura e instalação de equipamentos e memorabilia de combate a incêndios.

O Plaza Firehouse foi consagrado como Marco Histórico da Califórnia nº 730. Foi o primeiro edifício do Monumento a ser restaurado.

501 N Los Angeles, Los Angeles, 90012
Aberto de terça a domingo, das 10h às 15h
(213) 680-2525
https://www.discoverlosangeles.com/things-to-do/the-old-plaza-firehouse

Casa Sepulveda

Terça a domingo, das 10h às 15h

A Senora Francisca Gallardo ganhou um lote de casa entre Bath Street e Vine Street (mais tarde rebatizada de Olvera Street) em 1847. Em 1881 ela deu o adobe que construiu lá para sua sobrinha, Eloisa Martinez de Sepúlveda. Quando a Bath Street foi alargada e fez uma extensão da Main Street em 1886, Eloisa perdeu 500 metros do terreno da mãe e parte do adobe da família. Como substituto, no ano seguinte ela construiu uma combinação de edifício comercial e residencial com um design incomum de Eastlake. Tinha uma empena triangular e duas grandes janelas salientes com cristas de ferro no topo. A fachada de tijolos ásperos na Main Street foi pintada em uma cor marrom avermelhada e desenhada com tinta branca para se parecer com as linhas precisas de argamassa entre os tijolos.

O prédio de vinte e dois cômodos tinha duas grandes lojas de frente para a rua principal e, para hóspedes, quatorze quartos e um banheiro no segundo andar. Os aposentos privados da Señora Sepúlveda na parte traseira eram separados das lojas por uma passagem aberta. Em 1901 ela deu o prédio para sua sobrinha e afilhada favorita Eloisa Martinez de Gibbs, que se casou com Edward Gibbs, um vereador. Vários dos filhos de Gibbs nasceram na Casa Sepúlveda. A Señora Sepúlveda morreu em 1903 e a família Gibbs mudou-se em 1905, mas foi proprietária do edifício até que o Estado da Califórnia o assumisse em 1953.

Na década de 1930, depois que o mercado mexicano abriu na Olvera Street, Christine Sterling convenceu Forman Brown e seus parceiros a abrirem seus “Yale Puppeteers” no prédio. Ela também convidou os fotógrafos Viroque Baker e Ernest Pratt para montar seus estúdios no segundo andar. Na década de 1940, durante a Segunda Guerra Mundial, uma cantina USO estava localizada no prédio, servindo de refúgio aos milhares de soldados que passavam pela Union Station.

12 Olvera St, Los Angeles, CA 90012
Aberto de terça a domingo, das 10h às 15h
(213) 485-6855

Pico House

A Casa do Pico construída por Pío Pico, último governador da Califórnia sob domínio mexicano, que viveu quase toda a extensão do século XIX, de 1801 a 1894. Este foi o primeiro prédio de três andares e o primeiro grande hotel de Los Angeles. Pico escolheu o arquiteto Ezra F. Kysor para projetar o "melhor hotel de Los Angeles". A construção começou em 18 de setembro de 1869 e o hotel foi inaugurado em 9 de junho de 1870. Para levantar fundos para a construção e mobiliário do hotel, Pío e seu irmão Andrés venderam a maior parte de suas vastas propriedades no Vale de San Fernando. O hotel foi construído em estilo italiano, com janelas e portas em arco redondo e fundo, e as fachadas da Main Street e Plaza foram revestidas de estuque para se assemelhar ao granito azul. O hotel tinha oitenta e dois quartos e vinte e um salões, bem como banheiros e sanitários para cada sexo em cada andar.

430 N Main St, Los Angeles, 90012
Aberto para eventos especiais, exposições e filmagens
(213) 485-8372

Italian Hall / Italian American Museum

Projetado pelo arquiteto Julius Kraus e construído pela Pozzo Construction Company, o Italian Hall (1907-08), localizado na esquina da North Main Street e Cesar Chavez Avenue serviu como um importante centro cultural e social para os italianos de Los Angeles e é um dos sete edifícios em El Pueblo que estavam associados à comunidade italiana. Por mais de duas décadas, foi palco de reuniões, banquetes e danças e também sede de grupos como a Sociedade Garibaldina (1888) e o Il Circolo Operaio Italiano (Clube dos Trabalhadores Italianos). A orquestra de Pete Pontrelli tocava lá semanalmente. O prédio também servia como ponto de partida para corridas gastronômicas de fim de semana e local para festividades como a vendemnia, ou celebração da colheita do vinho italiano. O Salão também recebeu personalidades internacionalmente conhecidas, como Emma Goldman e Ricardo Flores Magón.

A presença italiana em El Pueblo começa em 1823, quando Giovanni Leandri abriu uma loja e construiu um adobe onde hoje fica o Plaza Firehouse. No século 19, um número significativo de italianos vivia em El Pueblo e possuía ou operava um terço das empresas na área de Plaza.

Desfrute de um belo edifício restaurado com exposições emocionantes e informativas.

644 North Main Street, LA CA 90012
Aberto de terça a domingo, das 10h às 15h
(213) 485-8432
http://www.iamla.org/

Teatro Merced

O Merced Theatre foi construído em 1870 e é uma das estruturas mais antigas erguidas em Los Angeles para a apresentação de performances dramáticas. Foi o centro da atividade teatral da cidade de 1871 a 1876.

O teatro foi construído por William Abbot, filho de imigrantes suíços que se estabeleceram em Los Angeles em 1854. Em 1858, casou-se com a mulher que deu o nome ao teatro, Maria Merced Garcia, filha de José Antonio Garcia e María Guadalupe Uribe , que eram residentes de longa data do pueblo de Los Angeles. O teatro foi desenhado por Ezra F. Kysor, o arquitecto da Casa do Pico.

301 W Main St, Los Angeles, 90012
Aberto de terça a sexta, das 12h às 17h, e uma hora antes do show
(209) 381-0500
https://www.mercedtheatre.org/

Igreja Católica Plaza

A igreja Plaza foi inaugurada em dezembro de 1822, como La Iglesia de Nuestra Señora la Reina de Los Angeles. É o único edifício em El Pueblo que ainda é usado para seu propósito original. A Igreja Católica Nossa Senhora Rainha dos Anjos - conhecida pelos habitantes locais como Igreja La Placita - é a igreja mais antiga da cidade e hoje atua como uma paróquia ativa da Arquidiocese Católica Romana de Los Angeles.

535 N Main St, Los Angeles, 90012
Aberto diariamente
http://laplacita.org/

Edifício Garnier / Museu Chinês-Americano

O Edifício Garnier foi construído em 1890 por Philippe Garnier, um colono francês que chegou a Los Angeles em 1859 aos dezoito anos. Philippe Garnier e seus irmãos, Eugene, Abel e Camille, eram donos do Rancho Los Encinos de 4.400 acres no Vale de San Fernando, onde criavam ovelhas. Apesar de perder uma quantia considerável de dinheiro na quebra do mercado de lã em 1872, os Garniers estavam financeiramente bem e continuaram influentes no comércio local. Philippe Garnier atuou como diretor do banco no Conselho do Farmers and Merchants Bank de 1879 a 1891 e acredita-se que tenha construído vários outros edifícios em Los Angeles.

O Edifício Garnier foi projetado principalmente para inquilinos comerciais chineses. O aluguel de todo o prédio era de US $ 200 por mês nos primeiros três anos. O Edifício Garnier é o edifício mais antigo de Los Angeles exclusivamente e continuamente habitado por imigrantes chineses desde a época de sua construção em 1890 até que o Estado o assumiu em 1953. Foi a sede das principais organizações sino-americanas e abrigou empresas, igrejas e escolas. Era uma estrutura importante na Chinatown original de Los Angeles.

O prédio abriga o Museu Chinês-Americano com exposições permanentes e temporárias.

425 N. Los Angeles Street, Los Angeles, 90012
Aberto de terça a domingo, das 10h às 15h
(213) 485-8567
http://camla.org/

Pelanconi House

O Armazém Pelanconi foi construído em 1910 por Lorenzo Pelanconi e sua mãe, Isabel Tononi, para o armazenamento de seu vinho. Atrás dela, na rua Olvera, está um pequeno prédio quadrado de dois andares conhecido como Casa Pelanconi. Foi construída por um vinicultor italiano, Giuseppi Covaccichi, entre 1855-57 e é a casa mais antiga de tijolo queimado que ainda existe em Los Angeles. Covaccichi e seu sócio, Giuseppi Gazzo, também possuíam uma vinícola que ficava diagonalmente na rua Olvera.

Entre 1858 e 1871, a Casa Pelanconi mudou de mãos quatro vezes. Antonio Pelanconi, que veio da região da Lombardia, na Itália, comprou a casa e a vinícola em 1871. Em 1866, ele se casou com Isabel Ramirez, filha de Juan Ramirez, que era dono de grande parte do que hoje é a Rua Olvera. Em 1877, Antonio entregou a operação da vinícola para seu sócio, Giacomo Tononi, e faleceu dois anos depois. Sua viúva se casou com Tononi em 1881.

Señora Consuelo Castillo de Bonzo assumiu a Casa Pelanconi para seu restaurante, La Golondrina Café em 1930. Ela removeu a parede traseira do armazém e da Casa Pelanconi a fim de fazer uma grande sala para o restaurante. É o restaurante mais antigo da Rua Olvera.

W-17 Olvera St, Los Angeles, 90012
Aberto de segunda a domingo
(213) 628-4349
https://www.casalagolondrinacafe.com/

Edifício Hammel

O Edifício Hammel na North Main Street foi construído em 1909. Originalmente construído como quatro lojas industriais leves com uma área de armazenamento parcial no subsolo ao longo da Olvera Street, o prédio agora fica de frente para a Olvera Street e abriga duas lojas no térreo e duas lojas no subsolo. Marie Hammel, que construiu o salão italiano ao lado em 1907-8, contratou os arquitetos Husdon e Munsell para construir o prédio a um custo de US $ 4.000. Em 1913, o Edifício Hammel passou para a filha da Sra. Hammel, Marie Hammel McLaughlin, que ampliou o prédio no lado da Rua Olvera.

Como a Olvera Street foi transformada em um mercado mexicano em 1930, foi necessário fornecer acesso público ao edifício a partir da Olvera Street e as escadas tiveram que ser construídas até o andar térreo do Hammel Building. Pequenos porões foram escavados durante a década de 1940 para fornecer lojas adicionais para os comerciantes da Olvera Street. Embora a fachada da Main Street não tenha mudado significativamente, a fachada da Olvera Street foi alterada e reparada ao longo dos anos.

Edifício Simpson / Jones

Doria Deighton Jones construiu o que agora é conhecido como Edifício Simpson / Jones em 1894. O local que anteriormente continha um grande adobe que ela, seu marido John Jones e seus filhos ocuparam. O adobe foi demolido quando a Bath Street foi ampliada em 1886 para se tornar uma extensão da Main Street. O Simpson / Jones Building foi construído para abrigar William Gregory Engines, também conhecido como Moline Engines. Os inquilinos posteriores foram a Diamond Shirt Company e o Soochow Restaurant. Quando Doria morreu em 1908, sua propriedade foi dividida entre seus três filhos e sua filha, Constance Jones Simpson, herdou os três prédios próximos ao Plaza na Main Street. A Sra. Simpson se opôs à ideia de Christine Sterling de encerrar o tráfego de veículos na Olvera Street e lutou contra a questão até a Suprema Corte da Califórnia. Em 1960, o Simpson / Jones Building foi alterado para criar a aparência de um banco mexicano.

O prédio agora abriga dois restaurantes: Chiguacle - Sabor Ancetral de Mexico e La Luz del Dia.

América Tropical

Em 1932, David Alfaro Siqueiros (1896-1974), um dos grandes artistas mexicanos do século XX, foi contratado para pintar uma cena tropical idealizada em uma parede externa do segundo andar na Olvera Street, no coração do centro de Los Angeles. Em vez disso, Siqueiros criou América Tropical, um mural monumental retratando uma selva coberta de vegetação com um camponês indiano crucificado encimado por uma águia americana, na qual soldados revolucionários apontam seus rifles. Esta imagem foi imediatamente controversa dentro da década em que todo o mural foi caiado de branco. Pelos próximos vinte anos, ela permaneceu sob camadas de tinta branca, negligenciada e quase esquecida.

Em 1988, o Getty Conservation Institute iniciou uma colaboração com a cidade de Los Angeles para conservar America Tropical. Isso levou a um estudo do ambiente em torno do mural e ao projeto de um abrigo protetor e plataforma de observação para o público. Oitenta anos após sua criação, América Tropical foi relançado para o mundo e está mais uma vez acessível ao público. Hoje, os visitantes de El Pueblo podem aprender mais sobre a história e a controvérsia em torno América Tropical no America Tropical Interpretive Center, localizado na mundialmente famosa Olvera Street.


ENCICLOPÉDIA

DIONYSOS, o jovem, belo, mas afeminado deus do vinho. Ele também é chamado tanto pelos gregos quanto pelos romanos de Baco (Bakchos), ou seja, o deus barulhento ou turbulento, que originalmente era um mero epíteto ou sobrenome de Dioniso, mas não ocorre até a época de Heródoto.

De acordo com a tradição comum, Dionísio era filho de Zeus e Semele, filha de Cadmo de Tebas (Hom. Hino. vi. 56 Eurip. Bacch. iniciar. Apollod. iii. 4. e seita 3) enquanto outros o descrevem como um filho de Zeus de Deméter, Io, Dione ou Arge. (Diod. Iii. 62, 74 Schol. ad Pind. Pyth. iii. 177 Plut. de Flum. 16.) Diodoro (iii. 67) menciona ainda uma tradição, segundo a qual ele era filho de Amom e Amaltheia, e que Amom, por medo de Reia, carregou a criança para uma caverna nas proximidades do monte Nisa, em um ilha solitária formada pelo rio Tritão. Lá Amon confiou a criança a Nysa, filha de Aristeu, e Atena também se comprometeu a proteger o menino. Outros ainda o representam como filho de Zeus por Perséfone ou Íris, ou o descrevem simplesmente como filho de Letes ou de Indo. (Díodo iv. 4 Plut. Simpósio vii. 5 Philostr. Vit. Apollon. ii. 9.)

A mesma diversidade de opiniões prevalece em relação ao lugar nativo do deus, que na tradição comum é Tebas, enquanto em outras encontramos Índia, Líbia, Creta, Dracanum em Samos, Naxos, Elis, Eleutherae ou Teos, mencionados como seu local de nascimento. (Hom. Hino. xxv. 8 Diod. iii. 65, v. 75 Nonnus, Dionys. ix. 6 Teócrito. xxvi. 33.) É devido a essa diversidade nas tradições que os escritores antigos foram levados a supor que originalmente havia várias divindades que foram posteriormente identificadas com o único nome de Dionísio. Cicero (de Nat. Deor. iii 23) distingue cinco Dionysi, e Diodorus (iii. 63, & ampc.) Três.

A história comum, que faz de Dioniso um filho de Semele de Zeus, é a seguinte: Hera, com ciúmes de Semele, visitou-a disfarçada de amiga ou de velha e a persuadiu a pedir a Zeus que aparecesse a ela no mesma glória e majestade em que estava acostumado a se aproximar de sua própria esposa Hera. Quando todas as súplicas para desistir desse pedido foram infrutíferas, Zeus finalmente concordou e apareceu para ela em meio a raios e trovões. Semele ficou apavorada e dominada pela visão e, sendo apanhada pelo fogo, deu à luz prematuramente uma criança. Zeus, ou de acordo com outros, Hermes (Apollon. Rhod. Iv. 1137) salvou a criança das chamas: ela foi costurada na coxa de Zeus, e assim atingiu a maturidade. Vários epítetos que são dados ao deus referem-se a essa ocorrência, como purigen e ecircs, m & ecircrorraph & ecircs, m & ecircrotraph & ecircs e ianigena. (Strab. Xiii. P. 628 Diod. Iv. 5 Eurip. Bacch. 295 Eustath. ad Hom. p. 310 Ov. Conheceu. 4. 11.)

Após o nascimento de Dionísio, Zeus o confiou a Hermes, ou, de acordo com outros, a Perséfone ou Réia (Orph. Hino. xlv. 6 Steph. Byz. s. v. Mastaura), que levou a criança para Ino e Athamas em Orquomenos, e os persuadiu a criá-la como uma menina. Hera foi agora instigada por seu ciúme a lançar Ino e Athamas em um estado de loucura, e Zeus, a fim de salvar seu filho, transformou-o em um carneiro e o carregou até as ninfas do monte Nysa, que o criaram em uma caverna, e depois foram recompensados ​​por isso por Zeus, sendo colocado como Hyades entre as estrelas. (Hygin. Fab. 182 Theon, ad Arat. Phaen. 177 comp. Hyades.)

Os habitantes de Brasiae, na Lacônia, de acordo com Pausanias (iii. 24. & seita 3), contaram uma história diferente sobre o nascimento de Dionísio. Quando Cadmo ouviu, eles disseram, que Sêmele era mãe de um filho de Zeus, ele a colocou e seu filho em um baú, e jogou-o no mar. O baú foi carregado pelo vento e pelas ondas até a costa de Brasiae. Semele foi encontrado morto e enterrado solenemente, mas Dioniso foi trazido por Ino, que por acaso na época estava em Brasiae. A planície de Brasiae foi, por isso, posteriormente chamada de jardim de Dioniso.

As tradições sobre a educação de Dionísio, bem como sobre os personagens que a empreenderam, diferem tanto quanto aquelas sobre sua linhagem e local de nascimento. Além das ninfas do monte Nysa na Trácia, as musas, Lydae, Bassarae, Macetae, Mimallones (Eustath. ad Hom. pp. 982, 1816), a ninfa Nysa (Díodo iii. 69), e as ninfas Philia, Coronis e Cleis, em Naxos, para onde a criança Dionísio foi dita ter sido carregada por Zeus (Díodo. iv. 52) , são nomeados como os seres a quem o cuidado de sua infância foi confiado. Além disso, diz-se que Mystis o instruiu nos mistérios (Nonn. Dionys. xiii. 140), e Hippa, no monte Tmolus, cuidou dele (Orph. Hino. xlvii. 4) Macris, filha de Aristeu, recebeu-o das mãos de Hermes e alimentou-o com mel. (Apollon. Rhod. Iv. 1131.) No monte Nysa, Bromie e Bacche também são chamados de suas enfermeiras. (Serv. ad Virg. Eclog. vi. 15.)

Mount Nysa, from which the god was believed to have derived his name, was not only in Thrace and Libya, but mountains of the same name are found in different parts of the ancient world where he was worshipped, and where he was believed to have introduced the cultivation of the vine. Hermes, however, is mixed up with most of the stories about the infancy of Dionysus, and he was often represented in works of art, in connexion with the infant god. (Comp. Paus. iii. 18. § 7.)

When Dionysus had grown up, Hera threw him also into a state of madness, in which he wandered about through many countries of the earth. A tradition in Hyginus (Poeta. Astr. ii. 23) makes him go first to the oracle of Dodona, but on his way thither he came to a lake, which prevented his proceeding any further. One of two asses he met there carried him across the water, and the grateful god placed both animals among the stars, and asses henceforth remained sacred to Dionysus.

According to the common tradition, Dionysus first wandered through Egypt, where he was hospitably received by king Proteus. He thence proceeded through Syria, where he flayed Damascus alive, for opposing the introduction of the vine, which Dionysus was believed to have discovered (euretês ampelou). He now traversed all Asia. (Strab. xv. p. 687 Eurip. Bacch. 13.) When he arrived at the Euphrates, he built a bridge to cross the river, but a tiger sent to him by Zeus carried him across the river Tigris. (Paus. x. 29 Plut. de Flum. 24.)

The most famous part of his wanderings in Asia is his expedition to India, which is said to have lasted three, or, according to some, even 52 years. (Diod. iii. 63, iv. 3.) He did not in those distant regions meet with a kindly reception everywhere, for Myrrhanus and Deriades, with his three chiefs Blemys, Orontes, and Oruandes, fought against him. (Steph. Byz. s.v. Blemues, Gazos, Gêreia, Dardai, Eares, Zabioi, Malloi, Pandai, Sibai.) But Dionysus and the host of Pans, Satyrs, and Bacchic women, by whom he was accompanied, conquered his enemies, taught the Indians the cultivation of the vine and of various fruits, and the worship of the gods he also founded towns among them, gave them laws, and left behind him pillars and monuments in the happy land which he had thus conquered and civilized, and the inhabitants worshipped him as a god. (Comp. Strab. xi. p. 505 Arrian, Ind. 5 Diod. ii. 38 Philostr. Vit. Apollon. ii. 9 Virg. Aen. vi. 805.)

Dionysus also visited Phrygia and the goddess Cybele or Rhea, who purified him and taught him the mysteries, which according to Apollodorus (iii. 5. § 1.) took place before he went to India. With the assistance of his companions, he drove the Amazons from Ephesus to Samos, and there killed a great number of them on a spot which was, from that occurrence, called Panaema. (Plut. Quaest. Gr. 56.) According to another legend, he united with the Amazons to fight against Cronus and the Titans, who had expelled Ammon from his dominions. (Diod. iii. 70, &c.) He is even said to have gone to Iberia, which, on leaving, he entrusted to the government of Pan. (Plut. de Flum. 16.)

On his passage through Thrace he was ill received by Lycurgus, king of the Edones, and leaped into the sea to seek refuge with Thetis, whom he afterwards rewarded for her kind reception with a golden urn, a present of Hephaestus. (Hom. Il. vi. 135, &c., Od. xxiv. 74 Schol. ad Hom. Il. xiii. 91. Comp. Diod. iii. 65.) All the host of Bacchantic women and Satyrs, who had accompanied him, were taken prisoners by Lycurgus, but the women were soon set free again. The country of the Edones thereupon ceased to bear fruit, and Lycurgus became mad and killed his own son, whom he mistook for a vine, or, according to others (Serv. ad Aen. iii. 14) he cut off his own legs in the belief that he was cutting down some vines. When this was done, his madness ceased, but the country still remained barren, and Dionysus declared that it would remain so till Lycurgus died. The Edones, in despair, took their king and put him in chains, and Dionysus had him torn to pieces by horses.

After then proceeding through Thrace without meeting with any further resistance, he returned to Thebes, where he compelled the women to quit their houses, and to celebrate Bacchic festivals on mount Cithaeron, or Parnassus. Pentheus, who then ruled at Thebes, endeavoured to check the riotous proceedings, and went out to the mountains to seek the Bacchic women but his own mother, Agave, in her Bacchic fury, mistook him for an animal, and tore him to pieces. (Theocrit. Id. xxvi. Eurip. Bacch. 1142 Ov. Conheceu. iii. 714, &c.)

After Dionysus had thus proved to the Thebans that he was a god, he went to Argos. As the people there also refused to acknowledge him, he made the women mad to such a degree, that they killed their own babes and devoured their flesh. (Apollod. iii. 5. § 2.) According to another statement, Dionysus with a host of women came from the islands of the Aegean to Argos, but was conquered by Perseus, who slew many of the women. (Paus. ii. 20. § 3, 22. § 1.) Afterwards, however, Dionysus and Perseus became reconciled, and the Argives adopted the worship of the god, and built temples to him. One of these was called the temple of Dionysus Cresius, because the god was believed to have buried on that spot Ariadne, his beloved, who was a Cretan. (Paus. ii. 23. § 7.)

The last feat of Dionysus was performed on a voyage from Icaria to Naxos. He hired a ship which belonged to Tyrrhenian pirates but the men, instead of landing at Naxos, passed by and steered towards Asia to sell him there. The god, however, on perceiving this, changed the mast and oars into serpents, and himself into a lion he filled the vessel with ivy and the sound of flutes, so that the sailors, who were seized with madness, leaped into the sea, where they were metamorphosed into dolphins. (Apollod. iii. 5. § 3 Hom. Hymn. vi. 44 Ov. Conheceu. iii. 582, &c.) In all his wanderings and travels the god had rewarded those who had received him kindly and adopted his worship : he gave them vines and wine.

After he had thus gradually established his divine nature throughout the world, he led his mother out of Hades, called her Thyone, and rose with her into Olympus. (Apollod. eu. c.) The place, where he had come forth with Semele from Hades, was shown by the Troezenians in the temple of Artemis Soteira (Paus. ii. 31. § 2) the Argives, on the other hand, said, that he had emerged with his mother from the Alcyonian lake. (Paus. ii. 37. § 5 Clem. Alex. Adm. ad Gr. p. 22.) There is also a mystical story, that the body of Dionysus was cut up and thrown into a cauldron by the Titans, and that he was restored and cured by Rhea or Demeter. (Paus. viii. 37. § 3 Diod. iii. 62 Phurnut. N. D. 28.)

Various mythological beings are described as the offspring of Dionysus but among the women, both mortal and immortal, who won his love, none is more famous in ancient history than Ariadne. The extraordinary mixture of traditions which we have here had occasion to notice, and which might still be considerably increased, seems evidently to be made up out of the traditions of different times and countries, referring to analogous divinities, and transferred to the Greek Dionysus.

We may, however, remark at once, that all traditions which have reference to a mystic worship of Dionysus, are of a comparatively late origin, that is, they belong to the period subsequent to that in which the Homeric poems were composed for in those poems Dionysus does not appear as one of the great divinities, and the story of his birth by Zeus and the Bacchic orgies are not alluded to in any way : Dionysus is there simply described as the god who teaches man the preparation of wine, whence he is called the "drunken god " (mainomenos), and the sober king Lycurgus will not, for this reason, tolerate him in his kingdom. (Hom. Il. vi. 132, &c., Od. xviii. 406, comp. XI. 325.) As the cultivation of the vine spread in Greece, the worship of Dionysus likewise spread further the mystic worship was developed by the Orphici, though it probably originated in the transfer of Phrygian and Lydian modes of worship to that of Dionysus. After the time of Alexander's expedition to India, the celebration of the Bacchic festivals assumed more and more their wild and dissolute character.

As far as the nature and origin of the god Dionysus is concerned, he appears in all traditions as the representative of some power of nature, whereas Apollo is mainly an ethical deity. Dionysus is the productive, overflowing and intoxicating power of nature, which carries man away from his usual quiet and sober mode of living. Wine is the most natural and appropriate symbol of that power, and it is therefore called "the fruit of Dionysus." (Dionusou karpos Pind. Fragm. 89, ed. Böckh.) Dionysus is, therefore, the god of wine, the inventor and teacher of its cultivation, the giver of joy, and the disperser of grief and sorrow. (Bacchyl. ap. Athen. ii. p. 40 Pind. Fragm. 5 Eurip. Bacch. 772.)

As the god of wine, he is also both an inspired and an inspiring god, that is, a god who has the power of revealing the future to man by oracles. Thus, it is said, that he had as great a share in the Delphic oracle as Apollo (Eurip. Bacch. 300), and he himself had an oracle in Thrace. (Paus. ix. 30. § 5.) Now, as prophetic power is always combined with the healing art, Dionysus is, like Apollo, called iatpos, or hugiatês (Eustath. ad Hom. p. 1624), and at his oracle of Amphicleia, in Phocis, he cured diseases by revealing the remedies to the sufferers in their dreams. (Paus. x. 33. § 5.) Hence he is invoked as a theos sôtêr against raging diseases. (Soph. Oed. Tyr. 210 Lycoph. 206.)

The notion of his being the cultivator and protector of the vine was easily extended to that of his being the protector of trees in general, which is alluded to in various epithets and surnames given him by the poets of antiquity (Paus. i. 31. § 2, vii. 21. § 2), and he thus comes into close connexion with Demeter. (Paus. vii. 20. § 1 Pind. Isthm. vii. 3 Theocrit. xx. 33 Diod. iii. 64 Ov. Rápido. iii. 736 Plut. Quaest. Gr. 36.)

This character is still further developed in the notion of his being the promoter of civilization, a law-giver, and a lover of peace. (Eurip. Bacch. 420 Strab. x. p. 468 Diod. 4. 4.) As the Greek drama had grown out of the dithyrambic choruses at the festivals of Dionysus, he was also regarded as the god of tragic art, and as the protector of theatres. In later times, he was worshipped also as a theos chthonios, which may have arisen from his resemblance to Demeter, or have been the result of an amalgamation of Phrygian and Lydian forms of worship with those of the ancient Greeks. (Paus. viii. 37, § 3 Arnob. adv. Gent. v. 19.)

The orgiastic worship of Dionysus seems to have been first established in Thrace, and to have thence spread southward to mounts Helicon and Parnassus, to Thebes, Naxos, and throughout Greece, Sicily, and Italy, though some writers derived it from Egypt. (Paus. i. 2. § 4 Diod. i. 97.) Respecting his festivals and the mode of their celebration, and especially the introduction and suppression of his worship at Rome, see Dict. of Ant. s. vv. Agriônia, Anthestêria, Halôa, Aiôra, and Dionysia.

In the earliest times the Graces, or Charites, were the companions of Dionysus (Pind. Ol. xiii. 20 Plut. Quaest. Gr. 36 Apollon. Rhod. 4. 424), and at Olympia he and the Charites had an altar in common. (Schol. ad Pind. Ol. v. 10 Paus. v. 14 in fin.) This circumstance is of great interest, and points out the great change which took place in the course of time in the mode of his worship, for afterwards we find him accompanied in his expeditions and travels by Bacchantic women. called Lenae, Maenades, Thyiades, Mimallones, Clodones, Bassarae or Bassarides, all of whom are represented in works of art as raging with madness or enthusiasm, in vehement motions, their heads thrown backwards, with dishevelled hair, and carrying in their hands thyrsus-staffs (entwined with ivy, and headed with pine-cones), cymbals, swords, or serpents. Sileni, Pans, satyrs, centaurs, and other beings of a like kind, are also the constant companions of the god. (Strab. x. p. 468 Diod. iv. 4. &c. Catull. 64. 258 Athen i. p. 33 Paus. i. 2. § 7.)

The temples and statues of Dionysus were very numerous in the ancient world. Among the sacrifices which were offered to him in the earliest times, human sacrifices are also mentioned. (Paus. vii. 21. § 1 Porphyr. de Abstin. ii. 55.) Subsequently, however, this barbarous custom was softened down into a symbolic scourging, or animals were substituted for men, as at Potniae. (Paus. viii. 23. § 1, ix. 8. § 1.)

The animal most commonly sacrificed to Dionysus was a ram. (Virg. Georg. ii. 380, 395 Ov. Rápido. eu. 357.) Among the things sacred to him, we may notice the vine, ivy, laurel, and asphodel the dolphin, serpent, tiger, lynx, panther, and ass but he hated the sight of an owl. (Paus. viii. 39. § 4 Theocrit. xxvi. 4 Plut. Sympos. iii. 5 Eustath. ad Hom. p. 87 Virg. Eclog. v. 30 Hygin. Poët. Astr. ii. 23 Philostr. Imag. ii. 17 Vit. Apollon. iii. 40.)

The earliest images of the god were mere Hermae with the phallus (Paus. ix. 12. § 3), or his head only was represented. (Eustath. ad Hom. p. 1964.) In later works of art he appears in four different forms:--
1. As an infant handed over by Hermes to his nurses, or fondled and played with by satyrs and Bacchae.
2. As a manly god with a beard, commonly called the Indian Bacchus. He there appears in the character of a wise and dignified oriental monarch his features are expressive of sublime tranquillity and mildness his beard is long and soft, and his Lydian robes (bassara) are long and richly folded. His hair sometimes floats down in locks, and is sometimes neatly wound around the head, and a diadem often adorns his forehead.
3. The youthful or so-called Theban Bacchus, was carried to ideal beauty by Praxiteles. The form of his body is manly and with strong outlines, but still approaches to the female form by its softness and roundness. The expression of the countenance is languid, and shews a kind of dreamy longing the head, with a diadem, or a wreath of vine or ivy, leans somewhat on one side his attitude is never sublime, but easy, like that of a man who is absorbed in sweet thoughts, or slightly intoxicated. He is often seen leaning on his companions, or riding on a panther, ass, tiger, or lion. The finest statue of this kind is in the villa Ludovisi.
4. Bacchus with horns, either those of a ram or of a bull. This representation occurs chiefly on coins, but never in statues.

Fonte: Dicionário de Biografia e Mitologia Grega e Romana.


A casa dos sete frontões

In 1668, merchant and ship-owner John Turner built a house on Salem Harbor that was destined to become one of America’s most beloved historic homes. Designated a National Historic Landmark District in 2007, The House of the Seven Gables is best known today as the setting of world-renowned American author Nathaniel Hawthorne’s 1851 novel. Plan your visit, learn about our educational opportunities, and embark on a guided group tour with us. We can’t wait to see you! Your adventure and historical journey awaits you at The House of the Seven Gables in Salem, MA.


MITHRIDATES VI

MITHRIDATES VI Eupator Dionysos (r. 120-63 BCE), last king of Pontus, the Hellenistic kingdom that emerged in northern Asia Minor in the early years of the 3rd century BCE (Figure 1). He is noted primarily for his opposition to Rome. Of the three wars he fought against Rome, the first (89-85 BCE), in which his armies swept through Asia Minor and Greece, eventually only meeting defeat at the hands of Sulla, identified him as Rome&rsquos most determined foreign enemy since Hannibal. His massacre in this war of tens of thousands of Roman and Italian civilians (the &lsquoAsian Vespers&rsquo) helped to establish his legendary notoriety as an exotic and cruel Oriental, a formidable but ultimately unsuccessful challenger to Rome&rsquos Mediterranean supremacy.

Mithridates&rsquo ancestors may well have been an offshoot of the Achaemenid royal family (Bosworth and Wheatley, 1998). They were certainly Iranian nobility who took part in the Persian colonization of Asia Minor, and in the 5th and 4th centuries BCE ran a fiefdom on the shore of the Propontis (the Sea of Marmara) and western end of the south coast of the Black Sea. Shortly before 300 BCE the family became involved in intrigues at the court of Antigonos and they were forced to flee further east into Paphlagonia, where, accompanied by six knights in a manner surely meant to recall the circumstances in which Darius became king of Persia, Mithridates I Ktistes founded what came to be known as the kingdom of Pontus and the line of Pontic kings (Diod. 20.111.4). Greek-style diplomacy, including a consistent policy of intermarriage with the Seleucids, established the kingdom&rsquos Hellenistic credentials, but there was no attempt to hide the family&rsquos Iranian origins: indeed it was precisely the mixture of Greek and Persian background that Mithridates Eupator later publicized, when he claimed (with some justification) to be descended from Cyrus and Darius, and (less convincingly) from Alexander the Great and Seleukos (Justin, Epit. 38.8.1). Stories of his birth and early life&mdashcomets, lightning, riding a dangerous horse, retreat to the wilderness for seven years&mdashreflect this mixed Persian and Macedonian lineage (McGing, 1986, pp. 43-46).

Eupator was about 13 years old when his father, Mithridates V Euergetes, was assassinated in 120 BCE. Once in sole control of his kingdom, having murdered his mother and brother (App., Mith. 112), he first turned his attention to conquest on the northern side of the Black Sea (Justin, Epit. 37.3.1, 38.7.4-5), where his grandfather Pharnakes had established diplomatic links in the first half of the 2nd century (IosPE I2 402 IG Bulg. I2 40). An opportunity for military intervention presented itself when the city of Chersonesos, under intense pressure from its barbarian neighbors, invited Mithridates to become its protector (Strabo, 7.4.3 C309). The resulting campaigns of his general Diophantos against the Scythians&mdashrecorded in a long inscription (IosPE eu 2 352)&mdashended with the conquest of the Crimea and annexation of the Bosporan kingdom of Paerisades (Strabo, 7.4.4 C310). This was the beginning of a highly successful policy that, by the time of his first clash with Rome, left Mithridates master of a network of subjects, allies, and friends incorporating almost the entire circuit of the Black Sea. While there were material benefits from this Euxine &lsquoempire&rsquo&mdashthe annual tribute from the Crimea and adjoining territories was 180,000 measures of corn and 200 talents of silver (Strabo. 7.4.6 C311)&mdashthe major significance of the Black Sea for Mithridates was military manpower. Time and again the literary sources emphasize the Euxine composition of his armies (e.g., App., Mith. 15 69). Without this resource he could not have challenged Rome.

Whether he actually wanted to challenge Rome or was, rather, a compliant Hellenistic king dragged unwillingly into conflict by Bithynian and/or Roman aggression, is a matter of scholarly disagreement (e.g., McGing, 1986 Strobel, 1997). It would be difficult, however, to deny that he had some sort of imperial ambitions in Asia Minor. His first act in the area was to arrange, through his agent Gordios, the murder of his brother-in-law Ariarathes VI of Cappadocia (Justin, Epit. 38.1.1), with the purpose, presumably, of ensuring that his sister Laodice would be able to control the kingdom more easily as regent for her own young son, Ariarathes VII. His next major policy decision was the invasion and seizure of Paphlagonia (ca. 105 BCE), undertaken in cooperation with Nikomedes III of Bithynia (Justin, Epit. 37-38). At least initially, neither paid any attention to Roman demands for their withdrawal: Nikomedes placed his son on the throne, and Mithridates occupied part of Galatia. The alliance with Bithynia collapsed shortly thereafter, when Nikomedes invaded Cappadocia and married Laodice. Mithridates expelled them both, murdered his nephew Ariarathes VII, and installed his own eight-year-old son as Ariarathes IX, with Gordios as regent (Justin, Epit. 38.1). Mithridates&rsquo diplomatic mission to Rome in about 101, just as Marius was winning great victories over the Teutones, Amrones, and Cimbri, may show him in more compliant form.

The 90s BCE, a period of chronological difficulty (de Callataÿ, 1997, pp. 186-214), are witness to firmer Roman action in Asia. In 99 or 98 Rome&rsquos leading general Gaius Marius led an embassy to the east and issued a stern warning to Mithridates: &ldquobe stronger than the Romans or obey their commands in silence&rdquo (Plut., Março 31.2-3). He seems to have heeded Marius&rsquos warning for a time. He reacted with diplomacy alone when Nikomedes, determined on causing trouble, put forward a false pretender to the Cappadocian throne. This forced a counterclaim, through Gordios, as to the legitimacy of Ariarathes IX (Justin, Epit. 38.2.5). When the Senate ordered the complete evacuation of Pontic and Bithynian forces from these lands, Mithridates complied, and had to stomach the loss of all Pontic influence in Cappadocia, when the ineffective Ariobarzanes was declared king. It was at this moment in 95 BCE that Eupator began to mint coins in earnest, with the first issues of his dated royal tetradrachms. If this was a hint of future defiance, it was soon followed by clearer recalcitrance: when Tigranes came to the throne of Armenia in the same year, Mithridates married his daughter Kleopatra to him and got him to invade Cappadocia and expel Ariobarzanes (or possibly, prevent him from taking his throne). The Senatorial response, in the past a mostly desultory diplomacy when it came to the intrigues of the Anatolian kings, was uncharacteristically forceful: the praetorian governor of Cilicia, C. Cornelius Sulla, was ordered to restore, or install, Ariobarzanes and he did so at the head of an army which met opposition from Cappadocians, Armenians, Gordios, and even Mithridates&rsquo own general, Arkhelaos (Plut., Sulla 5 App., Mith. 57 Front., Strat. 1.5.18). While this may have stopped short of direct military defiance by Mithridates, it was something very close. The message from Rome must have been clear: Mithridates could have been under no illusions that, if at a future date he attempted to use military force in Asia Minor, he would encounter Roman military opposition. So when, probably in 91, he again sent armies to annex both Bithynia and Cappadocia, no doubt taking advantage of the Social War in Italy, his ambitious aggression and readiness to defy Rome, are revealed. The Senate dispatched Manius Aquillius at the head of an allied army to restore the kings, but he overstepped his orders and forced Nikomedes IV of Bithynia to invade Pontus, wishing, Appian says (Mith. 11), to stir up a war. Aquillius&rsquos ineptitude in the negotiations that followed enabled Mithridates to present himself as the innocent victim of Roman and Bithynian aggression. In 89 BCE Aquillius got his war, but could hardly have foreseen the consequences. Mithridates crushed and scattered the allied and Roman forces facing him he then occupied Bithynia, and his armies fanned out across Asia Minor once master of Asia, he invaded and overran much of Greece too (Sherwin-White, 1984, pp. 121-48). These do not look like the actions of a king taken by surprise and forced reluctantly into a military struggle.

At the beginning of this first war with Rome, Mithridates had two years to advance his cause almost unchecked, while the Senate sorted out its problems with the Italian allies. In this time the limited resistance he encountered was local, and most of it easily overcome his only substantial rebuff was his failure to capture Rhodes (App., Mith. 24-25). However, there was more to his success than the absence of a Roman army (although that must have been a powerful incentive for waverers to take his side): he seems to have been welcomed at such places as Kos, Magnesia, Ephesus, and Mytilene and when he ordered the famous massacre of Romans and Italians in 88, the Greeks of Asia were on the whole obligingly enthusiastic (App., Mith. 22-23). Mithridates undoubtedly exploited the widespread dislike of Rome in Asia (Kallet-Marx, 1995, pp. 138-48), but was in himself an attractive and convincing champion. On one side, his royal Persian background gave him great prestige amongst an Anatolian population heavily influenced by Iranian culture and he was not slow to behave like his Achaemenid forbears. He gave all his sons Persian names he kept a harem and appointed eunuchs to positions of power and responsibility he offered sacrifices on mountaintops in the grand manner of the Persian kings at Pasargadae (App., Mith. 66, 70) he organized his empire into satrapies (App., Mith. 21-22). He also came with a leading reputation as a civilized benefactor of the Greek world (McGing, 1986, pp. 88-108). Dedications on Delos demonstrate the high regard in which he was held there and at Athens he competed in equestrian games at Chios and Rhodes he cultivated Greek learning, and his court, which in most respects was structured on standard Hellenistic lines and in its senior levels was manned largely by Greeks, became a center for philosophers, poets, historians, doctors his coins depicted a new Alexander and militarily he had already won great victories for the protection of the Black Sea Greeks. When faced with a choice between this proven winner and a very distant Rome, many of the cities of Asia Minor must have found the king of Pontus a good option. So too did many Greeks of the mainland, where, as in Asia, any opposition was fairly swiftly overcome. Astonishingly, given their consistent policy of loyalty to Rome for many generations, the Athenians went over willingly to Mithridates&rsquo side: he was mint magistrate at Athens in 87/86 and may well have been Eponymous Archon the year before (Habicht, 1997, pp. 303-21).

When Sulla landed in Greece with five legions in the summer of 87, all Mithridates&rsquo successes proved illusory. His support rapidly deserted him, and he found himself besieged in Athens, which fell to Sulla&rsquos forces on 1 March 86. The three main Pontic army groups then came together for the decisive battle of the war: at Chaironeia Sulla triumphed, and a little later at Orchomenos he destroyed another Pontic army dispatched from Asia. This was the end of the war in Greece. In Asia Minor Mithridates&rsquo supporters, willing and forced, all now realized that they were backing the loser, and Pontic control began to disintegrate. Mithridates&rsquo brutal treatment of the individuals and cities that deserted his cause merely hastened the end. After further defeat at the hands of the Roman general Fimbria, he accepted the lenient terms offered by Sulla, which amounted to little worse than a return to the pre-war status quo. Having devastated Asia and Greece, and murdered thousands of Romans and Italians, he was lucky, as Sulla&rsquos troops complained, to get off so lightly. Terms may have been agreed at the Peace of Dardanos in 85, but many Romans must have suspected there was unfinished business with the king of Pontus.

In 83 and 82, L. Licinius Murena, whom Sulla had left in charge of Asia with two legions, launched a series of raids into Pontus that have come to be called the Second Mithridatic War (App., Mith. 64-66). When Mithridates finally responded by inflicting a heavy defeat on Murena, the stage was set for another major conflagration in Asia. However, Mithridates declined the opportunity: clearly he was not ready to challenge Rome again, and Sulla called off Murena, thus bringing an end in 81 to this particular round of hostilities. Eupator&rsquos subsequent determination to set down in writing what had been agreed verbally at Dardanos (App., Mith. 67) may signify a genuine attempt to regularize his relations with Rome. At any rate, with one of his armies suffering a heavy defeat against the Achaian tribes in the northeast corner of the Black Sea, and with Cilicia designated as the province of P. Servilius Vatia, consul for 79, Mithridates was ready to agree to all Sulla&rsquos conditions. When his second embassy to Rome arrived, however, in 78, they found Sulla had just died and the Senate was too busy to receive them. The royal anger is clear: Eupator immediately persuaded his son-in-law Tigranes of Armenia to invade Cappadocia. Tigranes did on this occasion withdraw, but the Senate realized who was behind the operation, and it is hardly surprising to find prominent Romans admitting that another war with Mithridates was looming ahead (Sallust, Hist. 1.77.8 2.47.7 Maur.).

The immediate causes of the Third Mithridatic War (73-63 BCE) are disputed, but Appian (Mith. 70) and Sallust (Hist. 4.69 Maur.) both admit that Mithridates made no attempt to deny his responsibility for what he regarded as merely a resumption of hostilities started by the Romans. Probably in 76 or 75 he entered negotiations with the Roman rebel in Spain, Sertorius. He could not have thought that the Senate would see his treaty with Sertorius, concluded in 74, as anything other than a declaration of war. An explosion of activity in the Pontic royal mint from February 75 also points to his martial intentions (de Callataÿ, 1997, p. 46). The immediate impetus for war was probably provided by the Roman annexation of Bithynia: according to Eutropius (6.6) it was in 74 that Nikomedes IV died and bequeathed his kingdom to Rome. Whether it was the realization that Mithridates would not accept Roman control of Bithynia, or that they had just got news of the Pontic-Sertorian alliance, by late 74 even the Senate knew that war was imminent: the consular provinces of Lucullus and Cotta were changed, and both consuls were dispatched to the east. In the spring of 73 Mithridates overran Bithynia and invaded the Roman province of Asia. The whole region had suffered terribly in the aftermath of the First Mithridatic War (Plut., Luc. 20) and there was widespread disaffection with Rome, but this time, in contrast to what happened in 89, two Roman proconsuls and an army awaited Mithridates&rsquo onslaught. He made his main objective the capture of Cyzicus on the Propontis, but was outwitted by the superior strategy of Lucullus and forced to withdraw in disorder (App., Mith. 72-76). This was the last serious threat Mithridates could muster. Lucullus pursued him slowly across Asia Minor into Armenia, where Tigranes reluctantly received him. In 68 and 67 political conditions in Rome caused the Roman advance to stall, allowing Mithridates to slip back into Pontus and defeat the occupation forces. In 66, however, Pompey succeeded to the Mithridatic command and drove him out of Asia to his last remaining stronghold in the Crimea. Here in 63 BCE he succumbed to the treachery of his son, Pharnakes, who in negotiating with the Romans was no doubt trying to salvage something from the wreckage of his father&rsquos empire. Rather than face the humiliation of capture, Mithridates, having failed to do away with himself by poison, asked an obliging Celtic bodyguard to run him through with a sword (App., Mith. 111).

Mithridates Eupator presented himself as heir to the empires of Darius and Alexander the Great. Imperial conquest was central to this identity. Many of the ancient sources assume that the king&rsquos ambitions included plans from an early stage for war with Rome. While this looks very much like hindsight, it is also probable that by the mid 90s, it was clear to Mithridates that even limited aggression in Asia Minor would be thwarted by Rome and he spent the remaining thirty years of his life trying to balance the realities that an independent king must face when confronted by a superior power. Although he failed to be stronger than Rome, his failure was a grand one, and he was long remembered as a symbol of uncompromising defiance. On hearing of his death, Pompey ordered a full royal burial at Sinope, &ldquobecause he admired his great deeds and considered him the best of the kings of his time&rdquo (App., Mith. 113).

Appian, &ldquoThe Mithridatic Wars,&rdquo in Roman History, tr. H. White and E. I. Robson, 4 vols., LCL, Cambridge, Mass., and London, 1912-13, II, book 12.

E. Badian, &ldquoRome, Athens and Mithridates,&rdquo American Journal of Ancient History 1, 1976, pp. 105-28.

L. Ballesteros Pastor, Mitrídates Eupátor, rey del Ponto, Granada, 1996.

R. Bernhardt, Polis und römische Herrschaft in der späten Republik (149-31v. Chr), Berlin, 1985.

L. Boffo, &ldquoGrecità di frontiera: Chersonasos Taurica e i del Ponto Eusino (SIG 3 709),&rdquo Athenaeum 67, 1989, pp. 211-59, 369-405.

A. B. Bosworth and P. V. Wheatley, &ldquoThe Origins of the Pontic House,&rdquo Journal of Hellenic Studies 118, 1998, pp. 155-64.

F. de Callataÿ, L&rsquohistoire des guerres mithridatiques vue par les monnaies, Louvain-La-Neuve, 1997.

M. D. Campanile, &ldquoCittà d&rsquoAsia Minore tra Mitridate e Roma,&rdquo Studi ellenistici 8, 1996, pp. 145-73.

Diodorus of Sicily, tr. C. H. Oldfather, et al., 12 vols., LCL, Cambridge, Mass., and London, 1933-67.

Eutropius, Brevarium ab urbe condita, ed. C. Santini, Leipzig, 1979 The Breviarum, tr. H. W. Bird, Liverpool, 1993.

J.-L. Ferrary, Philhellénisme et impérialisme: Aspects idéologiques de la conqûete romaine du monde hellénistique, de la seconde guerre de Macédoine à la guerre contre Mithridate, Rome, 1988.

Frontinus, The Stratagems, tr. C. E. Bennett, LCL, London and New York, 1926.

D. Glew, &ldquoMithridates Eupator and Rome: A Study of the Background of the First Mithridatic War,&rdquo Athenaeum 55, 1977, pp. 380-405.

Idem, &ldquoBetween the Wars: Mithridates Eupator and Rome, 87-73 BC,&rdquo Quíron 11, 1981, pp. 467-95.

C. Habicht, Athens from Alexander to Antony, tr. D. L. Schneider, Cambridge, Mass., 1997.

H. Heinen, &ldquoMithradates VI. Eupator und die Völker des nördlichen Schwarzmeerraums,&rdquo Hamburger Beiträge zur Archäologie 18-19, 1991-92, pp. 1-15.

J. Hind, &ldquoMithridates,&rdquo CAH 2 IX, pp. 129-64.

IG Bulg. eu 2: G. Mikhailov, Inscriptiones graecae in Bulgaria repertae, I: Inscriptiones orae Ponti Euxini, 2nd ed., Sofia, 1970.

IosPE I 2: V. V. Latyshev, Inscriptiones antiquae orae septentrionalis Ponti Euxini graecae et latinae I: Inscriptiones Tyriae, Olbiae, Cherosnesi Tauricae, 2nd ed., St. Petersburg, 1916.

Justin, Epitome of the Philippic History of Pompeius Trogus, tr. J. C. Yardley, Atlanta, 1994.

R. Kallet-Marx, Hegemony to Empire: The Development of the Roman Imperium in the East from 148 to 62 BC, Berkeley, 1995.

A. Keaveney, Lucullus: A Life, London, 1992.

G. Kleiner, &ldquoBildnis und Gestaltdes Mithridates,&rdquo Jahrbuch des Deutschen Archäologischen Instituts 68, 1953, pp. 73-95.

D. Magie, Roman Rule in Asia Minor: To the End of the Third Century after Christ, 2 vols., Princeton 1950.

C. Marek, &ldquoKarien im ersten mithridatischen Krieg,&rdquo in Alte Geschichte und Wissenschaftgeschichte: Festschrift für Karl Christ zum 65. Geburtstag, ed. P. Kneissl and V. Losemann Darmstadt, 1988, pp. 285-308.

B. C. McGing, The Foreign Policy of Mithridates VI Eupator, King of Pontus, Leiden, 1986.

Idem, &ldquoAppian&rsquos Mithridateios,&rdquo in ANRW II.34.1, pp. 496-522.

A. Mastrocinque, Le guerre di Mitridate, Milan, 1999.

E. Olshausen, &ldquoMithridates VI. und Rom,&rdquo in ANRW I, 1, 1972, pp. 806-15.

Idem, &ldquoDas Königreich Pontos,&rdquo in Pauly-Wissowa, RE Suppl. XV, cols. 396-442.

J. van Ooteghem, Lucius Licinius Lucullus, Brussels, 1959.

Plutarch, Lives, tr. Charlotte Perrin, 11 vols., LCL, Cambridge, Mass., and London, 1914-26 &ldquoLucullus,&rdquo II, pp. 470-611 &ldquoCaius Marius,&rdquo IX, pp. 464-599 &ldquoSulla,&rdquo IV, pp. 324-445.

T. Reinach, Mithridates Eupator: König von Pontos, tr. A. Goetz, Leipzig, 1895.

W. Z. Rubinsohn, &ldquoMithradates VI Eupator Dionysos and Rome&rsquos Conquest of the Hellenistic East,&rdquo Mediterranean Historical Review 8, 1993, pp. 5-54.

E. Salomone Gaggero, &ldquoLa propaganda antiromana di Mitridate VI Eupatore in Asia Minor e in Grecia,&rdquo in Contributi di storia antica in onore di Albino Garzetti, Genoa, 1976, pp. 89-123.

Sallust, Historiarum reliquiae, ed. B. Maurenbrecher, 2 vols., Leipzig, 1891-93 The Histories, tr. P. McGushin, 2 vols., Oxford, 1992-94.

D. B. Selov, &ldquoLe royaume pontique de Mithridate Eupator,&rdquo Journal des savants, 1982, pp. 243-66.

A. N. Sherwin-White, Roman Foreign Policy in the East: 168 B.C. to A.D. 1, London, 1984.

Strabo, Geography, III: Books 6 and 7, tr. H. L. Jones, LCL, London and New York, 1924.

K. Strobel, &ldquoMithradates VI. Eupator von Pontos: Der letzte große Monarch der hellenistischen Welt und sein Scheitern an der römischen Macht,&rdquo Ktema 21, 1996, pp. 55-94.


General Robert E. Lee's Parole and Citizenship

On a spring day 140 years ago, Union Gen. Ulysses S. Grant and Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee met face to face in the parlor of Wilmer McLean's house in Appomattox Court House, Virginia. On that historic occasion, April 9, 1865, the two generals formalized the surrender of Lee's Army of Northern Virginia, thus bringing an end to four years of fighting between North and South.

After agreeing upon terms of the surrender, the generals each selected three officers to oversee the surrender and parole of Lee's army. Later that day, Lee and six of his staff signed a document granting their parole.

On May 29, 1865, President Andrew Johnson issued a Proclamation of Amnesty and Pardon to persons who had participated in the rebellion against the United States. There were fourteen excepted classes, though, and members of those classes had to make special application to the President.

Lee sent an application to Grant and wrote to President Johnson on June 13, 1865:

"Being excluded from the provisions of amnesty & pardon contained in the proclamation of the 29th Ulto I hereby apply for the benefits, & full restoration of all rights & privileges extended to those included in its terms. I graduated at the Mil. Academy at West Point in June 1829. Resigned from the U.S. Army April '61. Was a General in the Confederate Army, & included in the surrender of the Army of N. Va. 9 April '65."

On October 2, 1865, the same day that Lee was inaugurated as president of Washington College in Lexington, Virginia, he signed his Amnesty Oath, thereby complying fully with the provision of Johnson's proclamation. But Lee was not pardoned, nor was his citizenship restored. And the fact that he had submitted an amnesty oath at all was soon lost to history.

More than a hundred years later, in 1970, an archivist at the National Archives discovered Lee's Amnesty Oath among State Department records (reported in Prologue, Winter 1970). Apparently Secretary of State William H. Seward had given Lee's application to a friend as a souvenir, and the State Department had pigeonholed the oath.

In 1975, Lee's full rights of citizenship were posthumously restored by a joint congressional resolution effective June 13, 1865.

At the August 5, 1975, signing ceremony, President Gerald R. Ford acknowledged the discovery of Lee's Oath of Allegiance in the National Archives and remarked: "General Lee's character has been an example to succeeding generations, making the restoration of his citizenship an event in which every American can take pride."

Lee signed his Amnesty Oath on October 2, 1865, but was not restored to full citizenship in his lifetime. (General Records of the Department of State, RG 59)


2020 COVID Relief Bill Did Not Give Congress a Raise

Just hours after President Trump signed the $900 billion COVID-19 relief package on December 21, 2020, claims that the bill had included a stealth “rider bill” that granted large pay raise for members of Congress spread across social media.

A widely shared graphic claimed that the bill “behind your little $600 check” includes “$25,000,000 for additional salary for House of Representatives."

On December 22, a similar version of the claim reading, “They gave you $1200 . six months later they’ll give you $600 . in the same year they gave themselves $40k+ pay raises,” was shared over 66,000 times in hours.

However, a spokesperson for the House Appropriations Committee confirmed that congressional salaries had not gone up in 2020.

“In fact, the legislation just passed specifically blocks the COLA that would otherwise have taken effect,” said an Appropriations Committee spokesperson, referring to the automatic “cost of living adjustment,” in pay, which Congress has voted to turn down since 2009.


Assista o vídeo: La Vida y El Triste Final de Adela Noriega (Agosto 2022).